Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Teaching Job

This has been a most exciting, stressful, eye opening, exhilarating, and rewarding experience. But I am writing to let you all know, that even with all of the negative news about teaching, and how there are just no positions for teachers, I have been able to land an amazing position at a private school in Huntington Beach. When I first began interviewing with this school, I knew that many people would be interviewing along side me and that I really needed to find out how and why I wanted to teach at this particular site to make myself stand out. As I researched and learned more about their hands-on learning style, and their collaborative teaching support, I saw myself in the school. Each step that I moved further in the interview process was nerve wracking, yet extremely beneficial and educational. Each and every interview was with different people from that school, and each time I forgot something like showing my portfolio, demonstrating my hands on learning teaching philosophy, shaking their hand at the end of the interview. As this was my first formal interview experience I was full of nerves and had to learn from each interview I went into. From the first to last(of three) interview I felt comfortable with all of the staff, they seemed interested in what I could offer their school, and I saw how I could benefit their students. When I got the call and was offered a full time science teaching position in the upper elementary part of the school I was absolutely thrilled. This whole year people have been saying how you have to know a person from within, or how you have to sub for a few years before landing a job, or even that you have to go to places within cities that people do not like to work, all just to find a teaching job. Well I have been able to land an amazing position, with good pay and benefits right here in Huntington Beach. What this entire journey has showed me is that if you work hard enough at something you are really truly devoted to, that you will prosper. For me this is just the next step, hopping into the science seat and taking it for a ride. Where will I go from here? Well that will have to be another blog. For any other student teachers, future teachers, or even current teachers who are out there- stay motivated, remember why you are teaching and which parts of teaching you are passionate about so that those contributions can shine when talking to potential schools. And lastly, don't listen to all of those people out there who are saying you can't, you won't, it isn't possible- because you can, you will, and it is possible. Although my road to student teaching has ended, it has now turned into my road to science teaching, and that I am extremely excited for!

No comments: